Friday, March 30

Album review #8: The Weeknd - My Dear Melancholy,

Happy Good Friday everyone! Although more people than not take Easter as a normal holiday, I am nevertheless Orthodox and have a massive religious ceremonial progression within the next two weeks.

Anyway.

This album came out out of absolutely nowhere today, and I am a simple person: I see a Weeknd album I MUST review it. He is one of my favourites out there in the past few years and continues to amaze.

The title has a comma there to complicate, although I believe it to be the beginning of a letter. Honestly, I hope that no girl wants to hear some of those lyrics...

Anyway, let's begin the review of either a short album or a long EP. Either way, there are six songs, so this shouldn't last too long.

Track 1: Call Out My Name
~This is one of those songs that just don't work. Those verses are painful. But the chorus compensates, and combined with that signature production, it comes out pretty good. I feel as if The Weeknd got a bit lazy here.
Score: 6/10

Track 2: Try Me
~That chorus is so catchy! Although I have danced more to The Weeknd songs, this is the style that I love from him. I am talking about Reminder and Party Monster. With this and that, I have no idea what he is saying, but those snares add a very nice touch with his fabulous voice. The production is really unique to The Weeknd.
Score: 8.5/10

Track 3: Wasted Times
~Yeah, this one kind of fell apart. I notice a strong resemblance to some of Post's music, and only Post can make Post music sound good. Not The Weeknd. This song is way too repetitive. I was expecting more from The Weeknd.
Score: 3/10

Track 4: I Was Never There (ft/Gesaffelstein)
~I have never heard of Gesaffelstein ever before. But he works well with The Weeknd, until the unnecessary squeaking in the chorus. That is really annoying. I find this song, again, to be much too repetitive and unnecessarily annoying therefore.
Score: 5.5/10

Track 5: Hurt You (ft/Gesaffelstein)
~I wish The Weeknd would stop doing the same thing over, and over again. Gesaffelstein does nothing that The Weeknd couldn't do better. I mean, is this The Weeknd I know?
Score: 2/10

Track 6: Privilege
~Finally, a good, solid chorus. Although The Weeknd tries to sound meaningful, it only works here. Only. This song is really mystical and I love the production. It is the sort of sway music that I rarely like. He doesn't sing much. That noise between chorus and verse is borderline, though.
Score: 8/10

Final thoughts: This was the worst album I have heard in a long time. What happened? I feel as if this took The Weeknd a week to make. Come on. All he can do is take the same production, repeat it until you die, but switch up the words a bit and hire some gospel producer who does absolutely zip. This album, is really forgettable, and now I am off to listen to some Panic and Bad Wolves to please my ears. Bye!

3 comments:

  1. My thoughts:

    5/10 Call Out My Name
    7/10 Try Me
    7.5/10 Wasted Times
    5/10 I Was Never There
    4/10 Hurt You
    5/10 Privilege

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you're not to big on it either I see 😉

      Delete
    2. Nah. Try Me and Wasted Times are good enough, but that's it.

      Delete