Friday, March 23

Week #12 countdown

MWP:
Exit: Legendary (#8); All The Stars (#10)
10. Bigflo & Oli - Dommage (#9)
9. Sultan et al. - Almost Home (#6)
8. Marshmallow/Anne-Marie - Friends (Top 10 RE-ENTRY)
7. Hearts & Colours - Too Many Friends (Top 10 DEBUT)
6. 5SOS - Want You Back (#5)
5. The Weeknd/Kendrick Lamar - Pray For Me (#8)
4. NF - Let You Down (#4)[1 week at #1]
3. The Chainsmokers - Sick Boy (#3)[2 weeks at #1]
2. BTS/Steve Aoki - MIC Drop (#2)[3 weeks at #1]
1. Bad Wolves - Zombie (#1)[3rd week at #1]


This week's countdown was hosted by Shawn Mendes. Which definitely explains that one debut at an inopportune time. We have some good and some bad, we have a fabulous new song by Brendon Urie (our Hit-Bound host this week) that gets better every listen, and Zombie ssems to find its name nowhere on the countdown or Hit-Bound. Hopefully this won't last long, seeing as it had 17 spins in three days. Anyways, we have a marvelous exit that made my day, sort of.

NO shenanigans. This post is complete.





Exits:
Troye Sivan - My My My! (#32)
X Ambassadors - Ahead Of Myself (#41)
Maroon 5/SZA - What Lovers Do (#45)
aaaaaaand.......
SHAWN MENDES - THERE'S NOTHING HOLDIN' ME BACK!!!!!! (#40) FINALLY


45. Ed Sheeran - Galway Girl (#37)
44. Demi Lovato – Sorry Not Sorry (#44) [1]
43. Niall Horan – Slow Hands (#43) [3]
42. Dua Lipa – New Rules (#42) 
41. Portugal. The Man – Feel It Still (#31)
40. Symon – Lonely Girl (#38) 
39. AJR/Rivers Cuomo – Sober Up (#35) 
38. Taylor Swift/Ed Sheeran/Future – End Game (#29) [1]
37. Kelly Clarkson – Love So Soft (#34)
36. Imagine Dragons – Believer (#39) [3]
35. Charlie Puth/Kehlani – Done For Me (DEBUT)
34. Noah Kahan/Julia Michaels – Hurt Somebody (DEBUT)
33. Kesha/The Dap-Kings Horns – Woman (#36) 
32. Shawn Mendes – In My Blood (DEBUT)
31. Keala Settle – This Is Me (#24)
30. Marshmello/Anne-Marie – Friends (#27) 
29. Taylor Swift – Delicate (DEBUT)
28. Justin Timberlake/Chris Stapleton – Say Something (#33) 
27. Camila Cabello – Havana (#25) [1]
26. Charlie Puth – How Long (#22) 
25. Alan Walker/Noah Cyrus/Digital Farm Animals – All Falls Down (#23) 
24. P!NK – Beautiful Trauma (#8) [-16][YES!!!!!]
23. Bruno Mars/Cardi B. – Finesse (Remix) (#15) 
22. Niall Horan – On The Loose (#26) 
21. Selena Gomez/Marshmello – Wolves (#21) 
20. MAX/Gnash – Lights Down Low (#16) 
19. Halsey – Bad At Love (#19) [2]
18. Meghan Trainor – No Excuses (#18)
17. Khalid – Young, Dumb, And Broke (#30) [+13][?]
16. Imagine Dragons – Thunder (#28) [?]
15. The Weeknd/Kendrick Lamar – Pray For Me (#17) 
14. 5SOS – Want You Back (#20) 
13. Lauv – I Like Me Better (#9) 
12. Fall Out Boy – Hold Me Tight Or Don't (#10) 
11. Camila Cabello – Never Be The Same (#13) 
10. Bebe Rexha/Florida Georgia Line – Meant To Be (#14) 
9. Macklemore/Kesha – Good Old Days (#5) [1]
8. Imagine Dragons – Whatever It Takes (#6) 
7. NF – Let You Down (#7) 
6. Maroon 5 – Wait (#12) 
5. G-Eazy/Halsey – Him & I (#11) 
4. Ed Sheeran – Perfect (#4) [2]
3. Hailee Steinfeld/Alesso/Florida Georgia Line/watt – Let Me Go (#1) [1]
2. Walk The Moon – One Foot (#2) 
1. Zedd/Maren Morris/Grey – The Middle (#3) [3rd]

Biggest drop: BEAUTIFUL TRAUMA (-16)
Biggest jump: Young, Dumb & Broke (+13)

Comments on debuts (4):
Done For Me is boring considering Charlie Puth's new standards. This song is so forgettable, and I hope this can have a short run so Charlie can stay good. Kehlani was a strange choice but I love her. She is mediocre, also, though. This song is just nothing to me. I hope it doesn't have to become annoying.

If I had to pick songs to debut straight onto the countdown among the new songs this week, I definitely would have picked Zombie first, but that didn't happen, and better, honestly. Anyway, I would never have thought that this Julia Michaels song with some unknown face with a lousy voice would debut without hit-bound's help. Julia Michaels is, overall, i would say, interesting at best. Uh Huh was her best song because I don't know why. Issues was groundbreaking, I find, but all her music sounded very similar after that. But she doesn't even take up much of the song. It is this guy, Noah Kahan. I don't like his voice at all. The song reminds me vaguely of Miss You near the beginning, but James Hersey made a masterpiece with a mellow song with, somehow, a fantastic build up. But this song just stays mellow all the way through with nothing changing.

I would never have thought In My Blood would debut that fast after two days, but given it is a Shawn Mendes song AND he was hosting the countdown I realize that it shouldn't be much of a surprise. The song starts off with just talking, it feels like. Then the production kicks in. I find this song reminds me of Mercy. It is definitely a  step up from the exit (yes!) but the song is still a bit boring. I like the chorus a lot though. It is a different song to what we hear nowadays. Shawn Mendes's voice could use some work though.

I find I could not explain more than what I explained last week: Delicate is typical Taylor Swift standards. Repetitive, annoying, bad voice and production, but this song is so innocent and feels so much like nothing happened after I listened to it. I have never felt like that before.

Hit-Bound
~I grew into a bunch of songs on here this past week, especially Demi Lovato's song.

~Say Amen is fantastic, fantastic, fantastic, fantastic... I love it so much! Brendon Urie has been going downwards, but he totally redeemed himself with this smasher. This will 100% debut on MWP next week. The only question is whether it will be #1 or not. I look forward to hearing Brendon Urie introduce it on Hit-Bound this week when I hear him host :)

Post Malone/Ty Dolla $ign – Psycho
Alice Merton – No Roots

Bazzi – Mine
Halsey – Alone

Demi Lovato – Tell Me You Love Me

Foster The People – Sit Next To Me

Portugal. The Man – Live In The Moment

Dustin Atlas/Erin Bowman – Fake Friends

Panic! At The Disco – Say Amen (Saturday Night) (DEBUT)
Drake – God's Plan

Welshly Arms – Legendary (RE-ENTRY)
Rudimental/Jess Glynne/Macklemore/Dan Caplen – These Days
Dua Lipa – IDGAF
Thirty Seconds To Mars – Walk On Water

Top 5:
1. Say Amen (Saturday Night)
2. Legendary
3. Walk On Water
4. Tell Me You Love Me
5. God's Plan
 
Tell me what Blurbs have Done For Me
The Middle reaching #1 was bound to happen again, I know, but this song it just way too popular for what it's worth. One Foot will probably hit #1 in a month from now, and Let Me Go is done on all other stations. Perfect is still going strong everywhere for some reason. Him & I just now entering the top 5 is typical Hits 1, but I classify Him & I as 100% a rap song.

Wait should leave, now. Let You Down is still holding on. It really is a big hit for NF and it is deservedly so. It is still a remarkably marvelous song.

Thunder and Young Dumb & Broke made strange leaps into the top 20. It sounds like Hits 1 logic, and it is, actually, but I don't like it.

I would have thought that Lights Down Low would have stayed higher for longer. Anybody know when this debuted? I want to count the weeks until 52. Unsteady lasted 50 with a peak at #6 and Stressed Out lasted 51 being the #1 song of 2016. Believer did last a year and more, but I will not let another song leave just before the mark.

The biggest drop was one of two awesome events that happened this week. Finally people understand that this song should not be popular.

Hits 1 cut out Alan Walker's parts in All Falls Down. That was literally the only good part. They are shortening a bunch of songs now. I just hope that Pray For Me can remain untouched. I don't really listen to Hits 1 that much anyway, but I hope that when I hear Pray For Me Kendrick is still there.

I hope Friends doesn't pull a Say Something. I adore both those songs. They deserve more.

As did My My My! Ahead Of Myself wasn't much in my opinion, but What Lovers Do was one of my 2017 favourites.

Finally, after all these weeks of torture, after hearing this song on the radio nonstop and desperately trying to find a channel that is not playing it, after ranting on and on and on for hours at a time...



SHAWN MENDES - THERE'S NOTHING HOLDIN' ME BACK HAS FINALLY LEFT THE COUNTDOWN! YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES!!!
REJOICE!
  
Top 5:
1. Let You Down
2. Pray For Me
3. Want You Back
4. Friends
5. Lights Down Low

Bottom 5:
1. Beautiful Trauma
2. Love So Soft
3. Never Me The Same
4. Hurt Somebody
5. This Is Me

Throwback pick of the week: The Cranberries - Dreams
Most Missed Countdown Song: Twenty One Pilots - Heathens
#1 recommendation for Hits 1: Hearts & Colors - Too Many Friends

THANKS FOR VIEWING!

7 comments:

  1. First!

    Quick question Sasha, what are your opinions on your Top 10 songs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much for a quick question

      They are all awesome!

      Delete
    2. Dommage is catchy with great words

      Almost Home has a great progression and awesome drop

      Friends has a really catchy chorus

      Too Many Friends is a simple mellow, but really catchy song

      Want You Back, same as above

      Pray For Me has flaws, but makes me shudder

      Let You Down is a very high quality rap song with a really good last chorus

      Sick boy is really meaningful with great production

      MIC Drop is just a fun song with great DJ work

      Zombie is beyond anything I have ever heard. You can feel the emotion and the power so much. In my opinion it is better than the original.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, no, TNHMB is great and all your unabashed hate for no reason is un-needed. This extends to Wild Thoughts, Beautiful Trauma, Galway Girl, Slow Hands, Delicate, and tons of other songs that I won't even bother listing.

    ReplyDelete