Tuesday, July 18

Zedd/Alessia Cara (4) - Week #28

I apologize for the delay. A combination of stuff.

I must say, the countdown really has been on a down the past week. Everything that happened was so boring. We had some sort of activity this week, however, and not all of it good. Actually, most of it horrible. Mainly because of two awful Hit-Bound debuts. I will finally review Wild Thoughts, for those who have been asking me, even though normally I don't review Hit-Bound debuts. However, the countdown was not limited to only disappointing events: let's start with our exits.

Exits: 
Zayn/Taylor Swift - I Don't Wanna Live Forever (#37) 
Jason Derulo/Nicki Minaj/Ty Dolla $ign - Swalla (#40)

45. Machine Gun Kelly/Camila Cabello - Bad Things (#45)
44. Maroon 5 - Don't Wanna Know (#42) [3 Weeks At #1]
43. Steve Aoki/Louis Tomlinson - Just Hold On (#43)
42. Hailee Steinfeld & Grey/Zedd - Starving (#39) [4 Weeks At #1]
41. Aaron Carter - Sooner Or Later (#38)
40. Niall Horan - This Town (#41)
39. Jon Bellion - Overwhelming (#36)
38. Harry Styles - Sign Of The Times (#35)
37. Fitz & The Tantrums - HandClap (#44)
36. Childish Gambino - Redbone (DEBUT)
35. Maroon 5 - Cold (#34)
34. Bruno Mars vs. David Guetta - Versace On The Floor (DEBUT)
33. Shawn Mendes - Mercy (#31)
32. The Chainsmokers/Halsey - Closer (#32) [8 Weeks At #1]
31. Train - Play That Song (#29)
30. DJ Khaled/Justin Bieber/Chance The Rapper - I'm The One (#34)
29. Erin Bowman - Good Time Good Life (#30)
28. MAX/Gnash - Lights Down Low (#26)
27. Camila Cabello - Crying In The Club (#24)
26. Noah Cyrus - Stay Together (#28)
25. Bruno Mars - That's What I Like (#27) [1 Week At #1]
24. Julia Michaels - Issues (#16)
23. Linkin Park/Kiiara - Heavy (#19)
22. AJR - Weak (#22)
21. James Arthur - Say You Won't Let Go (#9)
20. Liam Payne - Strip That Down (#21)
19. Selena Gomez - Bad Liar (#20)
18. Calvin Harris/Pharrell/Katy Perry - Feels (#17)
17. Hailee Steinfeld - Most Girls (#22)
16. The Chainsmokers - Paris (#10) [1 Week At #1]
15. Miley Cyrus - Malibu (#25)
14. Halsey - Now Or Never (#12)
13. Ed Sheeran - Shape Of You (#11) [9 Weeks At #1]
12. Luis Fonsi/Justin Bieber/Daddy Yankee - Despacito (#15)
11. Sam Hunt - Body Like A Back Road (#7)
10. Charlie Puth - Attention (#13)
9. Panic! At The Disco - L.A. Devotee (#14)
8. Niall Horan - Slow Hands (#18)
7. Lady Gaga - The Cure (#8)
6. Ed Sheeran - Castle On The Hill (#5) [3 Weeks At #1]
5. Kygo/Selena Gomez - It Ain't Me (#6)
4. Imagine Dragons - Believe(#3)
3. The Chainsmokers/Coldplay - Something Just Like This (#2) [3 Weeks At #1]
2. Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back (#1) [2 Weeks At #1]
1. Zedd/Alessia Cara - Stay (#4) [4th Week At #1]

#1 song this week one year ago: Justin Timberlake - Can't Stop The Feeling!

Biggest drop of the week: James Arthur - Say You Won't Let Go (-12)
Biggest jump of the week: Niall Horan - Slow Hands; Miley Cyrus - Malibu (+10)

Comments on debuts:
Redbone is easily the strangest song I have heard all year. It is so confusing. I have yet to completely formulate an opinion on it as I fell distant every time I hear it, I cannot catch on to anything. For now it is in dark blue.

This is one of the first times when I have seen Hits 1 modify a song. Yeah, they did edit Quavo and Lunchmoney Lewis out of songs, but this alteration is major. They completely changed the song. Instead of a mellow song, we now have an artificial beat that does not go at all with the song. Remixes to a song almost never work. We have the select few who work, but this is not one. There is the same beat all throughout the song. Don't get me wrong, Bruno Mars's voice is still great. However, David Guetta's remix messes everything up, so that the beat contrasts too much with the song.

Hit-Bound:
4. Paramore - Hard Times
1. Macklemore/Skylar Grey - Glorious
8. Julia Michaels - Uh Huh
10. The Chainsmokers - Honest
6. All Time Low - Good Times
12. Carly Rae Jepsen - Cut To The Feeling
9. Demi Lovato - Sorry Not Sorry (DEBUT)
7. Andy Grammer - Give Love
??. Fall Out Boy - Champion (no opinion, because I never heard it)
13. DJ Khaled/Rihanna/Bryson Tiller - Wild Thoughts (DEBUT)
11. Kesha - Praying (DEBUT)
5. Imagine Dragons - Thunder
2. Ed Sheeran - Galway Girl
3. Shawn Hook featuring Vanessa Hudgens - Reminding Me


I will review Sorry Not Sorry and Praying if (optimism) they debut the countdown. Right now I will take time to review Wild Thoughts, since people have been asking and I have been lacking time. So here we go.

It starts off with the typical rapper's introduction, screaming their name, since they are, the best. However, DJ Khaled also says «We The Best music!». So before we even hear a glimpse of the song, DJ Khaled lets us know that this is his song, he produced it. Why? I don't know. But whetever. There is also some guitar in the song, that alone would have been fine, but with DJ Khaled's intro contrasts too much. Then Rihanna comes in and half raps. I can get how you could like Rihanna's rapping, she is similar to others. But personally, Rihanna has declined significantly from Diamonds, Pon De Replay, and all her good songs. Personally, I find I stopped liking her music when Sia stopped writing for her. Rihanna, back to the song, actually has an average rap voice. Not too bad. However, I expected her to at least sing a bit. When I first heard this song, I said: «Okay, so Rihanna decided to do an intro for herself, saying her name or whatever» but then I realized that she was already starting the strange lyrics. And when she rapped throughout the whole song, I was seriously disappointed. Rihanna can do better. And then Bryson Tiller enters with the typical rap voice. So the main reason I don't like this song is that is sounds like a typical rap song, yet they want is to be a bit poppy or classic, and that sounds a bit awkward. Oh! And there's also the guitar riff, which is a complete copy. I mean, it's okay. But I can't give it to the song since it is a exact copy of Santana. I could have literally done DJ Khaled's job in this song in half an hour. So this song is a bit lazy. I think I covered everything. I did go on a bit of a rant, though. Sorry. But there you have it, the reasons why I cannot stand Wild Thoughts.

Redblurb
Honestly, I did not expect Stay to return to #1. But I will take it over Shawn Mendes any day. Unfortunately, the latter dropped less than I hoped. Otherwise, we have the same songs in the top 6 for three weeks running, so I have nothing else to say.

At #8, #9, and #10, we have three top 10 re-entries, which I will take, no problem. Our top 10 exits include Body Like A Back Road, happily, Paris, which thankfully dropped quite a bit, and a leap out of the top 20 by Say You Won't Let Go. That song had its time. It is still good, but it is getting old. 

However, Malibu, Strip That Down, and Most Girls entering the top 20 was definitely expected but not appreciated.

Sadly, Despacito barely missing the top 10 is frustrating. This song is extremely overrated on Hits 1, easily the most frustrating station. When I turn on the radio, there is a 90% chance that Despacito will play within 15 minutes. But I have yet to even hear Despacito on Hits 1.

I just realized that Issues was in the top 20 last week. Seriously?

So I jinxed Crying In The Club last week, so now it dropped a few spots. This song really is flopping, though not as much as Down, which was such a disaster in airplay, I heard it once total.

I am getting tired of voting for Lights Down Low 15 times per week. It should be higher! However, not many people agree with me. Whatever. Not many people agreed with me on I'm The One and it still flopped.

Sooner Or Later was such a flop that I literally stopped wasting my time voting for it. It is easily the most underrated song this year.

We had to go all the way to #28 to get two masterpieces.

Selena Gomez's Fetish did not help my opinion on Bad Liar.

As for our exits, I Don't Wanna Live Forever left! This was my reaction:


Image result for happy face

And Swalla left also, which it deserved.

Top 20 score: 54% okay

Top 5:
1. Sooner Or Later
2. Lights Down Low
3. Despacito
4. Crying In The Club
5. Stay

Bottom 5:
1. Bad Liar
2. I'm The One
3. Play That Song
4. There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back
5. Overwhelming


#1 recommendation for Hits 1: Selena Gomez - Fetish
Throwback pick of the week: PSY - Gangnam Style (don't kill me)
Most missed countdown song: DNCE - Cake By The Ocean



Thanks for viewing!

6 comments:

  1. Okay, the guitar is a sample and it is not an exact copy of the guitar from Maria Maria. It shifts the tone up a little, and the bass groove, giving this song more depth in the mix. You say this sounds like a typical rap song, but the problem is, it isn't. Listen to the actual rap that has been getting big this year, like Bad & Boujee, Tunnel Vision, XO TOUR Llif3, and Congratulations, and you can tell, this is different. Wild Thoughts is more upbeat, Rihanna can sound sexy on this track, (Thank God we haven't had that in a song for quite some time) Bryson Tiller doesn't sound half bad, especially when compared to his recent album, and again, the guitar riff is what makes this song. So no, this is not your typical rap song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get how it changes keys, but Dj Khaled could have been more original. I messed up my words there: Rihanna basically speaks on the same key throughout the song. It is not a "typical rap song", but more of a stereotypical one, from someone who listens to, like, jazz or classical their whole life and says, rap is not music, it is a boring speech.

      I know that I will never convince you and that you will never convince me, a difference of opinions is what makes blogging useful.

      So the main reason why I dislike Wild Thoughts is because the authors created a rap song, but wanted to extract some pop feelings, and that sounds awkward. I messed up my wording there.

      Delete
  2. #1 Recommendation for Hits 1: The Weeknd - Reminder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hits 1 Recommendations:
    The Weeknd - Reminder
    Olivia O'Brien - RIP
    PRETTYMUCH - Would You Mind
    The Revivalists - Wish I Knew You
    AXWELL Λ INGROSSO - More Than You Know
    James Arthur - Can I Be Him
    Dua Lipa - New Rules
    Khalid/Rae Sremmurd/Lil Yachty - Young Dumb & Broke
    Logic/Alessia Cara/Khalid - 1-800-273-8255
    Calvin Harris/Future/Khalid - Rollin
    2 Chainz/Trey Songz/Ty$/Jhené Aiko - It's a Vibe
    Lil Uzi Vert - XO TOUR Llif3
    Yo Gotti & Mike WiLL Made-It/Nicki Minaj - Rake it Up
    Drake - Signs
    The All-American Rejects - Close Your Eyes
    DeJ Loaf - No Fear
    Portugal. The Man - Feel it Still
    Lauv - I Like Me Better
    AJR - Drama
    All Time Low - Dirty Laundry
    Ayo & Teo - Rolex
    Sigala & Ella Eyre - Came Here for Love
    Clean Bandit/Zara Larsson - Symphony
    Daya - Talk
    Harry Styles - Sweet Creature
    J Balvin & Willy William - Mi Gente
    Enrique Iglesias/Sean Paul - Súbeme la Radio
    Ed Sheeran - Perfect
    Selena Gomez/Gucci Mane - Fetish
    Fifth Harmony/Gucci Mane - Down
    Hey Violet - Hoodie
    Katy Perry - Save as Draft
    ZEDD & Liam Payne - Get Low
    OneRepublic/Michael Brun - Lift Me Up
    Kendrick Lamar/Rihanna - LOYALTY.
    Lecrae/Tori Kelly - I'll Find You
    blackbear - do re mi
    Machine Gun Kelly/Quavo/Ty$ - Trap Paris

    ReplyDelete