Sunday, September 10

Shawn Mendes (5 very long and annoying weeks) - Week #36

I am so tired of all this trash clogging up the top 5. I can't stand how overrated all these songs are, and they would never have been popular had it been from any other artists. That being said, this week wasn't too bad. This is the second week in a row where many things happened. We have 5+ exits for the first time in what feels like forever, and Hit-Bound is looking ok. Thankfully, I had time to do blurbs, so I will extend them to include some information from last week. From now on, my posts will be out 95% on Sundays, since I have my Russian school on Saturday.
Outside of blogging, Irma is causing some serious issues in the Caribbean and Florida. My father had to evacuate, and he literally had to carry imported tanks of gas in his car to leave the state since nobody is working at the gas station. My best wishes go out to all the victims and evacuees.

Exits:
Julia Michaels - Uh Huh (#33)
Shawn Mendes - Mercy (#35)
Halsey - Now Or Never (#36)
Train - Play That Song (#41)
Steve Aoki/Louis Tomlinson - Just Hold On (#44)
Selena Gomez - Bad Liar (#45)

#1 song this week one year ago: The Chainsmokers/Daya - Don't Let Me Down (1/3)
#1 song last week: Niall Horan - Slow Hands (1)

45. The Chainsmokers/Halsey - Closer (#38)[8]
44. Julia Michaels - Issues (#44)
43. DJ Khaled/Rihanna/Bryson Tiller - Wild Thoughts (#40)
42. Linkin Park/Kiiara - Heavy (#37)
41. Bruno Mars - That's What I Like (#41)[1]
40. Harry Styles - Two Ghosts (DEBUT)
39. Calvin Harris/Pharrell/Katy Perry - Feels (#22)
38. Lady Gaga - The Cure (#39)
37. Andy Grammer - Give Love (DEBUT)
36. Kygo/Selena Gomez - It Ain't Me (#28)
35. Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still (DEBUT)
34. Halsey - Bad At Love (DEBUT)
33. Panic! At The Disco - L.A. Devotee (#29)
32. Justin Bieber/BloodPop - Friends (DEBUT)
31. Fall Out Boy - Champion (#16)
30. Bruno Mars vs. David Guetta - Versace On The Floor (#30)
29. All Time Low - Good Times (#14)
28. AJR - Weak (#27)
27. Ed Sheeran - Shape Of You (#21)[9]
26. MAX/Gnash - Lights Down Low (#15)
25. The Chainsmokers - Honest (#24)
24. Hailee Steinfeld - Most Girls (#11)
23. Maroon 5/SZA - What Lovers Do (DEBUT)
22. Luis Fonsi/Justin Bieber/Daddy Yankee - Despacito (#32)
21. Hey Violet - Hoodie (#25)
20. Macklemore/Skylar Grey - Glorious (#20)
19. Ed Sheeran - Galway Girl (#31)
18. Louis Tomlinson/Bebe Rexha/Digital Farm Animals - Back To You (#19)
17. Imagine Dragons - Thunder (#26)
16. Cheat Codes/Demi Lovato - No Promises (#34)
15. P!nk - What About Us (#17)
14. Charlie Puth - Attention (#6)[1]
13. Kesha - Praying (#23)
12. Mono Mind/Bridge & Mountain - Save Me A Place (#18)
11. Ed Sheeran - Castle On The Hill (#10)[3]
10. Taylor Swift - Look What You Made Me Do (#13)
9. Demi Lovato - Sorry Not Sorry (#12)
8. Imagine Dragons - Believer (#8)[3]
7. Zedd/Alessia Cara - Stay (#7)[4]
6. Linkin Park - One More Light (#5)
5. The Chainsmokers/Coldplay - Something Just Like This (#9)[3]
4. Niall Horan - Slow Hands (#1)[1]
3. Sam Hunt - Body Like A Back Road (#3)
2. Liam Payne - Strip That Down (#2)
1. Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back (#4)[5]

 
Biggest jump of the week: No Promises (+18)
Biggest drop of the week: Feels (-17)

Comments on debuts:
To kick off the six debuts, we have Two Ghosts. My issue with this song is that has too much of a throwback feel to be a modern rock song. Also, the whole song is on the same level and that makes it boring. Sign Of The Times was fantastic. But I feel that in Two Ghosts, Harry Styles wanders too much.

Next up is Andy Grammer who, finally, debuts with his song Give Love. The song, I think, is his best work so far. It helps that I never hear it. It also helps that it has a cool beat, and has a somewhat catchy aspect to it.

When I first heard Feel It Still (I believe it was in March), I loved it, but I didn't really hear it enough to have it in my top 30. When it finally became popular, however, I realized how so amazingly catchy the song is. Her voice is fantastic, and the repeated guitar makes the song so much fun to dance too. Portugal. The Man have just created their best song so far.

Halsey is seriously heading head first to rock bottom. I feel like this is the last straw. I only like this song because it is Halsey. If she continues to release songs like this, I feel that she would have left my top 30 for good. I feel that she is going too much to the rap side, and creating stranger lyrics, even stranger than normal. I hope she releases Strangers soon so that she can keep up her talent.

Oh, boy. More Justin Bieber. I find when Justin Bieber makes his own music as the lead artist, it is awful (except The Feeling) and when he collaborates as a featured artist, the song is amazing (except I'm The One). Once again, he shows that he has a great voice, but cannot use it in catchy songs. Bloodpop destroys the mediocre song with that awful drop, and the lyrics make me want to cry.

Rather high up is our last debut, What Lovers Do. It took some time for me to grow into SZA. She sounds very cool in this song, and made herself a good impression on me. Maroon 5, however, are average for an artist, but much, much below average considering that it is Maroon 5. Adam Levine sounds much better in his regular voice than in his falsetto, which makes me scream.




Hit-Bound:
1. Zayn/Sia - Dusk Till Dawn (DEBUT)
2. Taylor Swift - ...Ready For It? (DEBUT)
3.  Sabrina Carpenter - Why
4. Selena Gomez - Fetish
5. All-American Rejects - Sweat
6. The Script - Rain (DEBUT)
7. The Revivalists - Wish I Knew You
8. Evaride - Heartless
9. Hailee Steinfield/Alesso/Florida Georgia Line - Let Me Go (DEBUT)
10. Sam Smith - Too Good At Goodbyes (DEBUT)
11. Why Don't We  Something Different
12. Zedd/Liam Payne - Get Low
13. PrettyMuch - Would You Mind
14. Kelly Clarkson - Love So Soft (DEBUT)

What blurbers do
I had no issues with Uh Huh, Mercy and Play That Song had to go eventually, Redbone was kind of cool, Just Hold On was fantastic and will 100% make my year end top 45, and Bad Liar was trash. Those are the exits, to sum it up.

As I mentioned, we have four absolutely horrific pieces of trash currently sitting at #1-4. I think that this is Shawn Mendes's best performance yet, by definitely his worst «song» yet. Strip That Down is just a generic rap song and nothing without Quavo. Body Like A Back Road is another piece of trash that was overrated everywhere and that two people in the whole wide world like. And Slow Hands was so overplayed that it has become extremely, extremely, annoying. I would take the top ten entrants by Demi Lovato and Taylor Swift at #1 over these songs any day.

However, if I had a choice, I would definitely take Stay, Believer, or Something Just Like This at #1. All those songs are still solid and can stay near the top as much as they want.


Praying is getting closer and closer to the top 10. Hopefully is can replace some of the trash that has been there forever.


After a fantastic stay at #15 for two weeks out of three, Lights Down Low was destined to drop a heck of a lot. This song is still beautiful. It is really popular on my radio right now, by the way.


Champion, Good Times, and Feels were all great song that deserved to perform better.


If we have a look at last week's debuts, Galway Girl and No Promises made massive jumps which honestly I would have preferred to see long ago, Save Me A Place is still going strong, and surprisingly, Look What You Made Me Do just barely made the top 10. The odds were high on this one hitting #1 this week, and I was really surprised when it didn't even enter the top 5.


Top 5:
1. Feel It Still
2. Lights Down Low
3. Champion
4. Back To You
5. Save Me A Place

Bottom 5:
1. Wild Thoughts
2. There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back
3. One More Light
4. Body Like A Back Road
5. Weak

#1 recommendation for Hits 1: Blackbear - Do Re Mi (never gonna happen)
Throwback pick of the week: Maroon 5 - This Love
Most missed countdown song: Shawn Mendes - Life Of The Party

6 comments:

  1. Sasha, I really like your new post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Throwback pick: Shawn Mendes- Something Big

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #1 Recommendation for Hits 1: Fall Out Boy - The Last of the Real Ones

      Delete
    2. By the way I'm disappointed that something big never made the countdown 2.5 years ago it would be nice if it did though

      Delete
  3. I have the countdown out now! :)

    ReplyDelete