Saturday, June 3

Shawn Mendes (1) - Week #22

*Note: What I am about to say applies to my radio station*

Okay... So Shawn Mendes has had some pretty good music in the past. Life Of The Party and Something Big really were great songs. Life Of The Party was pretty big, but not for long. Then he came out with okay songs like I Know What You Did Last Summer and Stitches, which weren't really that popular on my radio. But then, Treat You Better and Mercy really got me to know his name and that he was a contender, since they were both really good songs until they were overplayed to death. But the only song that I didn't like right from the get-go just has to hit #1 after 6 weeks on the countdown.

However, we had some pretty good Hit-Bound entrants.

Exits:
Clean Bandit/Sean Paul/Anne-Marie - Rockabye (#28)
Machine Gun Kelly/Hailee Steinfeld - At My Best (#33)
Twenty One Pilots - Heavydirtysoul (#34) ???

Zayn/PartyNextDoor - Still Got Time (#41)
The Weeknd/Daft Punk - I Feel It Coming (#43)

The Countdown:
45. Maroon 5 - Don’t Wanna Know (#44) [3]
44. Hailee Steinfeld & Grey/Zedd - Starving (#42) [4]

43. One Ok Rock - American Girls (#38)
42. Machine Gun Kelly/Camila Cabello - Bad Things (#45)
41. DNCE - Kissing Strangers (#36) ???
40. Niall Horan - This Town (#40)
39. Aaron Carter - Sooner Or Later (#39)

38. Ocean Park Standoff - Good News (DEBUT)
37. The Vamps & Matoma - All Night (#37)
36. Sam Hunt - Body Like A Back Road (DEBUT)
35. DJ Khaled/Justin Bieber/Chance The Rapper - I’m The One (#26)
34. Hey Violet - Break My Heart (DEBUT)
33. Steve Aoki/Louis Tomlinson - Just Hold On (#32)
32. Hailee Steinfeld - Most Girls (DEBUT)
31. Jason Derulo/Ty Dolla $ign/Nicki Minaj - Swalla (#22)
30. Zayn/Taylor Swift - I Don’t Wanna Live Forever (#29)
29. The Chainsmokers/Halsey - Closer (#31) [8]
28. Selena Gomez - Bad Liar (DEBUT)
27. Liam Payne/Quavo - Strip That Down (#35)

26. Miley Cyrus - Malibu (#30)
25. MAX/Gnash - Lights Down Low (#26)
24. Fitz & The Tantrums - HandClap (#23)
23. AJR - Weak (#24)
22. Maroon 5 - Cold (#20)
21. Calvin Harris/Frank Ocean/Migos - Slide (#15)
20. Niall Horan - Slow Hands (#21)

19. Train - Play That Song (#25) ???
18. Shawn Mendes - Mercy (#17)
17. Halsey - Now Or Never (#16)
16. Bruno Mars - That’s What I Like (#11) [1]
15. Harry Styles - Sign Of The Times (#14)
14. Lady Gaga - The Cure (#13)
13. Panic! At The Disco - L.A. Devotee (#18)
12. Charlie Puth - Attention (#10)
11. Linkin Park/Kiiara - Heavy (#9)

10. The Chainsmokers - Paris (#19) [1]
9. James Arthur - Say You Won’t Let Go (#12)
8. Kygo/Selena Gomez - It Ain’t Me (#6)
7. Ed Sheeran - Shape Of You (#7) [9]

6. Julia Michaels - Issues (#8)
5. Zedd/Alessia Cara - Stay (#3) [2]
4. Imagine Dragons - Believer (#5)

3. The Chainsmokers/Coldplay - Something Just Like This (#1) [1]
2. Ed Sheeran - Castle On The Hill (#2)
1. Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back (#4)

Biggest jump of the week: The Chainsmokers - Paris (+9)
Biggest drop of the week: Tied between Jason Derulo/Ty Dolla $ign/Nicki Minaj - Swalla and DJ Khaled/Justin Bieber/Chance The Rapper - I'm The One (-9)

Comments on debuts:

None of the debuts this week were good. I wasn't really expecting much, considering the fact that there were only three songs on Hit-Bound that were not green/blue last week. First off is Ocean Park Standoff - Good News, which I really did not expect to debut. I used to like this song, but then I grew out of his voice. The verses are still fun but his voice is really annoying in the chorus.

Body Like A Back Road really should not be here. There are so many better country songs out there, and Hits 1 had to take the one that wasn't even country. In this song, Sam Hunt is basically rapping the whole time. Take Your Time was so much better and had such a better meaning.

Break My Heart is seriously a strange song. But Guys My Age made less sense. However, Guys My Age was so freaking catchy that I didn't care how absolutely controversial the meaning was. Now, Break My Heart shows how they won't change their meanings. The drop is painful to listen to, and the lead singer's voice is so BAD.

I heard Most Girls more than Shape Of You on Hits 1 this week, so I knew it would debut. I find the verses are nice, but they are really building up to something spectacular, but the chorus really dissapointed me, simply because it sounds just like the verses.

The last debut this week is from Selena Gomez, who I personally really don't like except in It Ain't Me which Kygo destroyed. The issue is her voice. She sounds exactly like Kiiara, Hailee Steinfield, Julia Michaels,... And I feel having a voice very similar to others is hard to use in a song. So Selena Gomez has had 2 good songs in her career, It Ain't Me and The Heart Wants What It Wants. Otherwise, her songs are similar throughout. Similar to Most Girls, I expected more from the chorus of Bad Liar. Oh, and the meaning is horrible and is worth a deduction.

Hit-Bound
2. Camila Cabello - Crying In The Club
5. Paramore - Hard Times (DEBUT)
7. Mansionz/G-Eazy - Wicked
3. Noah Cyrus - Stay Together
9. Katy Perry/Nicki Minaj - Swish Swish
4. Imagine Dragons - Thunder (DEBUT)[!!!]
6. Fall Out Boy - Young & Menace
10. Jon Bellion - Overwhelming
13. Carly Rae Jepsen - Cut To The Feeling (DEBUT)
8. All Time Low - Good Times (DEBUT)
11. Bruno Mars - Versace On The Floor
12. Erin Bowman - Good Time Good Life
1. Shawn Hook/Vanessa Hudgens - Reminding Me (DEBUT)

- I feel very alone with my opinion on Swish Swish and Cut To The Feeling. 

- Does the I have questions part of Crying In The Club actually belong to the song?

Blurb Like A Back Road
All the exits are great songs except I Feel It Coming. I grew back into Rockabye.

I already talked about our #1. For our #2, this song was really good at the beginning but now it is just annoying and overrated. However, the rest of our top 5 looks pretty great.

I just don't get what is so great about Issues. It is so boring and dumb.

Our biggest movers really should be bigger. But Paris in the top 10 is annoying, but thank goodness I'm The One dropped out of the top 30. Hopefully it can leave next week. It really is trash.

Play That Song is back in the top 20... Wow...

But I would honestly prefer Play That Song to Slide.

Nice to see Lights Down Low hitting new peaks. If it makes the top 20, I will be thrilled. This is one of the best songs this year.

Sooner Or Later, American Girls, and Kissing Strangers have been complete flops, but they are amazing songs. Kissing Strangers is super popular on my radio (it was on the top 4 at 4:00 this whole past week except once, at #1 2 times). Speaking of which, Quavo had four songs in the top 4 at 4 on Friday ( 4. the epic Congratulations, 3. the horrible I'm The One, 2. Know No Better, and 1. Strip That Down) so I researched him, and I found out he is part of Migos. Not knowing that made me feel so dumb...

How is Starving still here?

I'm so tired of OneDirection members making their own songs. All their voices are the same. Soon when they all release albums as bad as Harry Styles's we're going to see a song by Harry Styles/Niall Horan/Louis Tomlinson/Liam Payne/Zayn, and we're all going to laugh. And Niall said that OneDirection wasn't done. Nobody should ever contradict Simon.

Otherwise, not much happened this week except the debuts, which we seem to getting a lot of lately. 

Top 20 REVIEW!!!
0 - Horrible (pink)
20. Play That Song
19. There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back
18. Paris

1 - Bad (red) (1)
17. Issues

2 - Okay (blue) (4)
16. Mercy
15. Castle On The Hill

3 - Good (light blue) (9)
14. The Cure
13. Now Or Never
12. It Ain't Me

4 - Great (green) (28)
11. That's What I Like
10. Something Just Like This
9. Say You Won't Let Go
8. L.A. Devotee
7. Sign Of The Times
6. Attention
5. Believer

5 - Masterpiece (green) (20)
4. Shape Of You
3. Stay
2. Slow Hands
1. Heavy

Total: 62% Good

#1 song this week one year ago: Justin Timberlake - Can't Stop The Feeling
#1 recommendation for Hits 1: Luis Fonsi/Daddy Yankee/Justin Bieber - Despacito (plz!)
Throwback pick of the week: James Blunt - Bonfire Heart
Most missed countdown song: The Weeknd/Daft Punk - Starboy 

Top 5
1. Lights Down Low
1. Kissing Strangers
3. Sooner Or Later
4. All Night
5. Heavy

Bottom 5:
1. I'm The One
2. I Don't Wanna Live Forever
3. Play That Song
4. Slide
5. Starving

iTunes top 10 in Canada:
10. Foo Fighters - Run
9. Miley Cyrus - Malibu
8. Luis Fonsi/Daddy Yankee - Despacito
7. Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back
6. Harry Styles - Sign Of The Times
5. Major Lazer/Travis Scott/Camila Cabello/Quavo - Know No Better
4. DJ Khaled's gang/Justin Bieber - I'm The One
3. The Chainsmokers/Coldplay - Something Just Like This
2. Imagine Dragons - Believer
1. Luis Fonsi/Daddy Yankee/Justin Bieber - Despacito

Thanks for viewing!

17 comments: