Friday, January 19

Album reviews: M A N I A + Bright: The Album

NOTE: I have decided to combine MWP and Sirius XM in one post, to save time :)

Two fantastic albums right here to start off 2018 very well. Too bad they aren't getting much recognition.

M A N I A (Fall Out Boy)

Track 1: Young And Menace
~I really love every single part of this song except the drop. I mean, it takes an expert to make something that bad. But every other part of the song is really fun.
Score: 6.5/10

Track 2: Champion
~This is more traditional Fall Out Boy. This song is really good and the guitar is excellent. The chorus is riveting. If only this could have gotten more recognition.
Score: 10/10

Track 3: Stay Frosty Royal Milk Tea
~Quite an original title. I love the rock feel, but the song and the voice do not match that much. The guitar is great though.
Score: 7/10

Track 4: HOLD ME TIGHT OR DON'T
~I love this song so much and I have no clue why. It is so catchy and alt at the same time. The whistling is so effective. I LOVE the chorus.
Score: 10/10

Track 5: Last Of The Real Ones
~The video is awful, but the song is awesome. This is Fall Out Boy with minimal technological influence. This song was made for me, I feel.
Score: 10/10

Track 6: Wilson (Expensive Mistakes)
~I would never have thought Fall Out Boy could come out with a song like this. But then, they did. This song sounds like a mix of 1960 and 2060. I wish they wouldn't curse though.
Score: 10/10

Track 7: Church
~The link with church is really bad. The song is 'boring' considering that it's Fall Out Boy. But I still love the chorus a lot.
Score: 9.5/10

Track 8: Heaven's Gate
~Mellow enough for Fall Out Boy, put painful to listen to, especially the chorus. I really cannot stand the voice in the chorus.
Score: 2/10

Track 9: Sunshine Riptide (ft. Burna Boy)
~Burna Boy is absolutely useless. He should not be in a Fall Out Boy song unless Fall Out Boy adapt, and that was bad as shown in Heaven's Gate. The chorus is fantastic, sadly.
Score: 5/10

Track 10: Bishops Knife Trick
~Great way to end. This song really would be a song to play in the denouement of a movie or as a grand finale. This song in intense!
Score: 10/10

Top 5:
1. HOLD ME TIGHT OR DON'T
2. Champion
3. Bishops Knife Trick
4. Wilson (Expensive Mistakes)
5. Last Of The Real Ones

Bright: The Album (Various)

Track 1: Broken People (Logic/Rag'n'Bone Man)
~Rag'n'Bone Man is epic. Period. He is mesmerizingly good. His voice is perhaps my all time favourite. These are the types of voices I adore. Laith from The Voice was another. Anyway, the song itself is beyond anything I have ever heard. I knew when I saw Logic and Rag'n'Bone Man together that is had to be good. And sure enough, Rory Graham takes off in one of his fabulous choruses to give us a heads-up before Logic takes over and destroys his verses. The production is something else. Honestly, every single aspect of this song is perfect, except it ends eventually. These are the types of songs that leave you in the dust, in awe, like, "What just happened?"
Score: 10/10

Track 2: World Gone Mad (Bastille)
~I didn't hear much from Bastille since Pompeii, which easily makes my Top 100 of all time. I loved that song so much, it was literally what I came home for. World Gone Mad is something different, and Bastille's falsetto is a bit off.
Score: 6/10

Track 3: Home (Machine Gun Kelly/X Ambassadors/Bebe Rexha)
~You know where I'm going with this. If you saw that this topped MWP for a few weeks. Anyway, let me walk you through this. It starts off with the instruments, and I really love that part. It immediately sets the mood into a depressing song, and the chords fit so well. I watched the video 710384135 times, and I can testify that the direction is really good. I love the atmosphere and how they combined Bright with the actual song. Anyway, X Ambassadors take over. I absolutely adore this guy's voice, man. Every single song of his that I heard I have loved, especially Renegades. This is more mellow in Home, but he created a fantastic effect with the music and Bebe Rexha adds an even greater mystical effect. Then, suddenly, MGK raps his heart out like a master. He understands the meaning and the reason rap exists. And he is really catchy too. And the pre-chorus is outstanding. MGK can really do his thing. He intensifies up until X Ambassadors come back and calm us down. The section after the second chorus and the ho-o-o-omes is extremely effective and I adore this. This can make you sing along without challenge. MGK comes back now, with my favourite of the two verses. I love the "Memories" part, and the lyrics are absolutely ingenious. He can actually compare to Eminem with this. Bebe's verse is still great, but not as much as where she takes us later on, with the beautiful mesmerizing performance where mind and soul collide and everybody is left stupefied. The song ends a bit abruptly though, however this helps the petrification at the end. I saw this performance on The Voice, and that one was fantastic. Anyway, I'll leave you know. Happy reading :p
Score: 10/10

Track 4: Crown (Camila Cabello/Grey)
~Another masterpiece. Grey do better than they have ever done in their life, especially Starving. The indian beat and drop is on fire and Camila Cabello's voice matches it perfectly. I will leave this there not to be too daunting, but this is Camila's best song ever. Seriously.
Score: 10/10

Track 5: Darkside (Ty Dolla $ign/Future/Kiiara)
~The rapping is great and the singing is fine. The chorus at the end is really good. The production is not really there, though.
Score: 8.5/10

Track 6: Danger (Marshmallow/Migos)
~I really like the production. That is the main reason I like Migos. Marshmallow does a beautiful job here and Migos' rapping is spot on. Offset is better than Quavo though.
Score: 10/10

Track 7: That's My N**** (Meek Mill/YG/Snoop Dogg)
~Another stupid rap song talking about absolutely nothing of relevance and swearing every second syllable.
Score: 0/10

Track 8: Smoke My Dope (Steve Aoki/Lil Uzi Vert)
~The chorus is really catchy, but the verses could be better. Steve Aoki has always been respected by me for not going too far.
Score: 7.5/0

Track 9: FTW (F*** The World) (A$AP Rocky/Tom Morello)
See Track 7.
Score: 1/10

Track 10: Cheer Up (Portugal. The Man)
~This song is just general fun like Portugal. The Man normally is. I love the absence of computers. The voice sound is strange though.
Score: 8.5/10

Track 11: Hares On The Mountain (alt-J)
~I love mellow rock songs, but alt-J does not fit with this style that well. I have never really been a fan of his.
Score: 5.5/10

Track 12: Campfire (DRAM/Neil Young)
~This song is so strange. But I like it. It is totally abstract and the voices remind me of drunk men. But it is not as annoying as you think it would be.
Score: 6/10

Track 13: This Land is Your Land (Sam Hunt)
~Sam Hunt, taking on a classic? No... But he actually sounds fine. He actually could pass as country this time. But he still sounds awful.
Score: 3.5/10

Top 5:
1. Home
2. Broken People
3. Crown
4. Danger
5. Cheer Up

THANKS FOR VIEWING!!!

2 comments:

  1. Nice job! I am also working on a review for M A N I A that should be out next week. You did pretty good reviewing the songs.

    ReplyDelete