Sunday, May 26

Jonas Brothers (9) - Week of May 25th

Hello everyone! I decided to cover the countdown within a month of my last post, which was a bit faster than I had planned. Either way, this will not be a conventional post (when compared to the other blogs) mainly because I don't cover every week. I will post the countdown and then give my thoughts on some 'important' songs starting from the top. I'm not going to cover every song because that would be way too long, but if ever you wish to know my opinion on a song I didn't cover, feel free to ask and I will comment, then I will add it to the post.

Also, check out my colour-coding system over to the right. It varies quite a bit from the other blogs, it is confusing, I admit, but it will always be right there for you :)

45. Lady Gaga/Bradley Cooper - Shallow
44. Ally Brooke - Low Key
43. Dan + Shay - Tequila
42. Bebe Rexha - Last Hurrah
41. Billie Eilish - When the Party's Over
40. Lil Peep/ILoveMaKonnen/Fall Out Boy - I've Been Waiting
39. Jordan McGraw - Flexible
38. Ariana Grande - 7 rings
37. Twenty One Pilots - Chlorine
36. Alessia Cara - Out Of Love
35. Panic! At the Disco - Dancing's Not a Crime
34. Khalid - Better
33. Billie Eilish - Bury a Friend (-9; Biggest drop)
32. BTS/Halsey - Boy With Luv
31. Post Malone - Wow
30. Dean Lewis - Be Alright
29. Jennifer Lopez/French Montana - Medicine
28. Lewis Capaldi - Someone You Loved
27. Ariana Grande - Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored
26. Lauv/Troye Sivan - I'm So Tired...
25. Billie Eilish - Bad Guy
24. Ciara - Thinkin Bout You
23. MAX/Quinn XCII - Love Me Less
22. Lizzo - Juice
21. Dan + Shay - Speechless
20. NOTD/Felix Jaehn/Captain Cuts/Georgia Ku - So Close
19. Lil Nas X/Billie Ray Cyrus - Old Town Road
18. Marshmello/Bastille - Happier
17. Ellie Goulding/Diplo - Close To Me
16. Panic! At the Disco - High Hopes
15. Sam Smith/Normani - Dancing With a Stranger
14. Halsey - Nightmare (DEBUT)
13. Alec Benjamin - Let Me Down Slowly (+7; biggest jump)
12. The Chainsmokers/Kelsea Ballerini - This Feeling
11. Ed Sheeran/Justin Bieber - I Don't Care
10. Marshmallow/Chvrches - Here With Me
9. P!nk - Walk Me Home
8. Shawn Mendes - If I Can't Have You
7. Imagine Dragons - Bad Liar
6. Ava Max - Sweet But Psycho
5. Panic! At the Disco - Hey Look Ma, I Made It
4. The Chainsmokers/5SOS - Who Do You Love
3. Taylor Swift/Brendon Urie - ME!
2. Halsey - Without Me

1. Jonas Brothers - Sucker


~The Jonas Brothers continue their reign at #1 and it doesn't seem as if they are going to stop soon. But that's great. It's the best song within range of #1, and somehow seems to hit the mark for everybody. I don't know anyone who doesn't like it. For me, it shows how pop can be engaging and original. The song evolves, and, though repetitive, the slight difference prevent me from ever being annoyed with it. The melody is catchy, and I can get this song stuck in my head just by thinking about it. It's also great to see the Jonas Brothers together again, even though I never knew them together. The whistling could have been so much worse, but it works in ways that songs like Kill Em With Kindness did not understand.

~Halsey hosted this week's countdown, so she is at #2. I don't see any other reason why she would be this high centuries after the release of Without Me. I loved this song at first - I really did! But for some strange reason, the radio loved it and played it at least twice every hour. And even if they did that to other songs I love like Happier (oh wait, they did - more on that later), I would eventually grow out of the song. I've honestly had enough of Without Me and I seriously hope that Nightmare can come in and replace it.

~Brendon Urie has two songs in the top 5, and that makes me really happy. It really is too bad that I can't jam to any of them. ME! makes me cringe at how cheesy the spelling half of the song is. Hey Look Ma, I Made It makes me sad for some reason, and the sounds clash a lot. I still head for the Death of a Bachelor album when I want to listen to some Panic!, but if this is what gets him famous, I hope he continues.

~Sweet But Psycho is such an annoying, repetitive song. I hope it leaves really soon or I will begin to hate on it really hard.

~I see my future self slapping my present self in the face for putting Shawn Mendes in green. I would not regret it either way. I like this song right now. Is it closer to a Masterpiece than any of the other green songs. The verses don't have much going for them, but the chorus is so fun! It won't get in my head, but I still enjoy listening to it. The harmony is nice, and finally I could say that Shawn Mendes is a good artist. I won't, by the way.

~I am looking forward to Ed Sheeran's next album with tons of collaborations. Less than most people, but I will still have a listen to a couple songs. If I Don't Care is a symbol of what's coming up, I most likely will not like the album. One or two of this style of song is good, not more. I won't necessarily like a repetitive beat with the same section of lyrics repeated twice by two different people. In this case, the beat is really cool, considering its pop nature. Ed Sheeran sounds amazing, but Justin Bieber does not. The robotic voice at the end sounds so artificial and takes away the casual nature of the song. In all, I will listen to this song, but it won't be first on my playlist.

~It took me a long time to give Let Me Down Slowly a first listen, but I love the vibe, the progression, and Alec Benjamin's innocent voice. It's a good song and I won't grow out of it for a while.

~And now! For the big one this week! Boy am I excited to talk about this song. 2019 has featured a huge amount of debuts in the top 20. It seems like this is going to be a great year for music! I hope that Nightmare can be one of the big hits this year, but I doubt that. I can see very easily how someone could passionately hate it. What I love about it so much is the contrast between the chorus and the verses. I couldn't listen to the chorus non-stop for minutes. I love it, but it is very loud and could (?) get annoying eventually. The verses calm the song down before Halsey takes us right back into the much deserved chorus. Her voice is fantastic, the notes hit the mark and everything about this song felt thought out. Though chaotic, it feels very professional. The production is fabulous. You don't get those kind of sounds all the time. This is how I remember Halsey from Badlands. This was the Halsey who was my favourite female artist once upon a time. I really hope this can reach #1, but not before the Jonas Brothers can break the weeks at #1 record, because I really feel that they deserve it.

~I could have tolerated Dancing With a Stranger if it didn't become such an instant hit. I already have had enough of it. I fear where this is going. I hope, for some strange reason, people just randomly start disliking it so I can never hear it again... That's never going to happen? Okay. I just hope Nightmare gets its fair share of popularity.

~Old Town Road is one of the better trap songs, for a few reasons. First of all, it's so, so short, so I don't see how you could hate on it so much if it's half the length of other songs on the radio. Billy Ray Cyrus has a cool country voice, and without the beat he sounds very solid. The generic rap beat is very bad and ruins the song. If there would have been some real instruments, some more guitar, some more country aspects, I would probably love this song.

~MAX is already at #23, which is more than Lights Down Low can say about its first few weeks of existence. Love Me Less is a fantastic song. I can dance around to it and the beat works very well. The tens of grammar mistakes eventually get annoying, so I enjoy this song the most when I'm doing something else at the same time, such as writing a blog post (yeah I'm listening to this song as I write this).

~Billie Eilish has three songs on the chart. Bad Guy has a great groove, I love the bass. This is an example of a song (like My Boy or Bellyache) that would only work with Billie Eilish's voice and style. The ending isn't bad but it is substantially worse than the cool beginning of the song. In all, Bad Guy is very original and shows that there remains much to be explored. Bury a Friend is a bland song and I'm glad it's dropping because it should be out of here already. The reason I like When the Party's Over a little bit better is because of the lyrics and the pleasant melody combined with that interesting creepy voice I enjoy.

~Ariana Grande released so much over a short period of time that neither of her songs reached their full popularity. That was a strange move on her part. Either way, I wish 7 Rings would have stayed longer in the top 10. Break Up With Your Girlfriend, I'm Bored seems to be the hit she's keeping out there for the longest period of time, which is fine because it doesn't make me want to punch a wall. 7 Rings, however, is the best song Ariana Grande has released in a bit. Yes, the lyrics are garbage, one hundred percent trash. But I love the production. The sounds are so interesting in the intro and the outro. I know the melody is a rip-off and I hate that. I know that Ariana Grande is changing into a rapper and I hate that as well. But 7 Rings was produced with cool ideas that were not accompanied by a good singer and good lyrics. I listen to a karaoke version once in a while just to hear those sounds, I love them so much. I wish Ariana Grande could take them and make a pleasant song, like she used to do quite a bit.

~I do want to punch a wall, though, when Dean Lewis is still on the countdown. It's #1 on my radio station! For the first time! I don't know how late everyone is, but this Ed Sheeran mimic is so boring. I can't even concentrate when I listen to it, and I can't fall asleep to it either, because of how annoying the lyrics and the production is. Next week, it has to fall off the countdown and into the archives nobody remembers. My aunt's favourite song is Ed Sheeran's Perfect and even she called it boring. I don't know how I survived hearing this song since well into last year.

~It's nice to see that Halsey has made Sirius XM realize that BTS exists. Boy With Luv is good, but I only wish MIC Drop or Airplane Pt.2 could have made it here first. Boy With Luv makes me laugh because it is the opposite of an 'American's type of song'.

~Chlorine was the most successful song off of Trench, which is nice because it is my favourite. I have no clue how it lasted this long, but boy am I happy about it!

Top 5:
1. Nightmare
2. Last Hurrah
3. Sucker
4. Love Me Less
5. Chlorine

Bottom 5:
1. Be Alright
2. Dancing With a Stranger
3. Shallow
4. Sweet But Psycho
5. Juice

Thanks for staying with me and until next time!!!

~Sasha

1 comment:

  1. First.

    Welcome back Sasha where have you been lately. I missed you all the time.

    ReplyDelete